2. Bow Ties. Just like no girl should be without a hat during derby weekend no guy should be without a tie.
3. Preppy Patterns. Vineyard Vines is the official style of the Kentucky Derby. You really can’t be too preppy for this weekend’s events.
4. Julep Cup. This classic julep cup is the standard drinking cup on derby weekend. No exceptions.
5. Bourbon. From the drinks to the desserts you can find bourbon mixed into everything when celebrating derby style. You can even get your very own bottle of the Official Bourbon of the Kentucky Derby.
7. Louisville Hot Brown Sandwich. This is a classic that is a local favorite created at The Brown Hotel in Louisville. Click here to learn how to make this classic sandwich.
8. Derby Pie. The original recipe of this Derby Pie is heavily guarded by Kern’s Kitchen but you can still try your hand at making your own version of the classic Derby Pie.
9. Race Decorations. When it comes to decorating, get a little crafty by making your own derby themed decor. Anything horse related is perfect!
10. Roses. And what would the running of the roses be without any roses?!?! Showcase a beautiful bunch in julep cups, in a vintage silver trophy or by making a derby rose wreath.
Of course the horse is just a nice added touch for this derby get together, but isn’t always needed. You don’t have to limit these derby ideas to this weekend either. Find a local race track in your area, grab some friends and celebrate your own local derby! What is on your list of derby party essentials?
You might also like…