Red, White and Blue-berry Muffins from Sophistimom
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups drinkable yogurt (plain or vanilla) or buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375. Line 18 regular muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a new bowl, cream together butter and sugar and beat on medium high until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Lower the speed to medium low and add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition followed by the vanilla.
- With the mixer on the lowest setting, alternate mixing in the flour mixture and the yogurt, beginning and ending with the flour (this step is to prevent the batter from curdling).
- Once everything has been mixed together gently fold in the blueberries and raspberries.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and then sprinkle each cup with a little bit of the granulated sugar.
- Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes (or 12-15 minutes for mini muffins), or until the muffins are golden brown and the center muffins bounce back up when touched. Enjoy!
Red, White and Blue Scones from Two Peas and Their Pod
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped strawberries
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup cold heavy cream, plus extra cream to brush the tops
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top of scones
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips, melted-for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Drop in the butter and, using your fingers, toss to coat the pieces of butter with flour. Use your fingers or a pastry blender, cut and rub the butter into the dry ingredients. You will have some small pea size pieces of butter and that is fine. Gently stir in the blueberries and strawberries.
- In a small glass measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the egg, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Pour mixture over the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula just until the dough comes together. Carefully knead the dough by hand, just until the dough comes together.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour and turn out the dough. Pat the dough into a circle. Gently roll out the dough. You want the dough to be about an inch thick. Cut the dough into star shapes using a cookie cutter. Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Lightly brush the scones with cream and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer scones to a rack and cool to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, drizzle each scone with white chocolate. Let stand until chocolate is dry.
You might also like these other red, white and blue recipes...